Sunday 22 March 2009

Songs to listen to during economic slowdown!

With the global economy in doldrums, more and more of us are starting to feel the heat. Of course, this is not the first time the world has found itself falling on hard economic times, and there are plenty of songs about tightening one's budget. Here's a list of 10 of the great folk songs to listen to during this economic slowdown.

1. "Brother, Can You Spare a Dime?" by EY Harburg and Jay Gooney.

This is one of the most popular songs left over from the Great Depression, and was written in 1932. The lyrics talk from the point of view of the average American worker who built the railroad and other areas of modern industry and then were discarded from their jobs after the stock market crash.

Lyrics:

They used to tell me I was building a dream.
And so I followed the mob When there was earth to plow
Or guns to bear I was always there right on the job.
They used to tell me I was building a dream
With peace and glory ahead.
Why should I be standing in line just waiting for bread?


2. "All I Want (I Don't Want Your Millions Mister)" by Jim Garland

This song seems suddenly incredibly relevant again, as it talks about difficult economic times from the point of view of the average folks who must struggle in the face of layoffs while Wall Street gets bailed out by the government. It was written by Jim Garland in the 1930s and performed by the Almanac Singers.

Lyrics:

Now, I don't want your Rolls-Royce, Mister,
I don't want your pleasure yacht.
All I want's just food for my babies;
Give to me my old job back.


3. "Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man)," by Randy Newman

Randy Newman has always been a songwriter of tremendous nostalgia and foresight, and this song from his 1974 release Good Old Boys talks to the struggle of the working class during difficult economic times.

Lyrics:

I know it may sound funny
But people everywhere are running out of money
We just can't make it by ourself
It is cold and the wind is blowing
We need something to keep us going
Mr. President have pity on the working man


4. "How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?" by Blind Alfred Reed

This tune by the great Blind Alfred Reed was recorded in 1929, the same year as the stock market crash. The lyrics look at a time not too long ago when the average working person could afford the basic things they needed to get by. Then, in the wake of Wall Street's demise, suddenly had to struggle just to make ends meet. Sound familiar?

Lyrics:

There once was a time when everything was cheap,
But now prices nearly puts a man to sleep.
When we pay our grocery bill,
We just feel like making our will


5. "No Depression in Heaven," by AP Carter

This song, from one of folk music's most lauded family bands, was recorded originally in 1936, when the Great Depression had been affecting the country for some time. It talks about just being tired of watching the effects of hard times on their fellow man. It's a spiritual song about the promise of there being no economic hardship in the afterlife.

Lyrics:

I'm going where there's no depression,
To the lovely land that's free from care.
I'll leave this world of toil and trouble,
My home's in Heaven, I'm going there.


6. "Do Re Mi," by Woody Guthrie

"Do Re Mi" is one of many anthems by Woody Guthrie about not having enough money to get by. It tells the story of families who went to California during the Great Depression thinking there would be plenty of work and jobs, and finding instead that they wound up even further in poverty and debt.

Lyrics:

California is a garden of Eden
A paradise to live in or to see
But believe it or not, you won't find it so hot
If you ain't got the do re mi.


7. "Workin Man Blues," by Merle Haggard

Merle Haggard has always written compelling story-songs, and his "Workin Man Blues" is no exception. The song talks about having an impressive work ethic, despite the fact that working never seem to bring home enough money to make ends meet.

Lyrics:

It's a big job just gettin' by with nine kids and a wife
I been a workin' man dang near all my life
I'll be working long as my two hands are fit to use
I'll drink my beer in a tavern,
Sing a little bit of these working man blues


8. "They'll Never Keep Us Down," by Hazel Dickens

Hazel Dickens has recorded a number of songs singing from the perspective of working class struggle. "They'll Never Keep Us Down" is a determined song encouraging the working class to organize and demand fair pay for their hard work, as every day is a recession for the working class.

Lyrics:

United we stand
divided we fall
for every dime they give us
a battle must be fought


9. "Sixteen Tons," by Tennessee Ernie Ford

This classic tune by Tennessee Ernie Ford has been performed by Frankie Lane and Merle Travis, among others. It talks about the everyday plight of the working class, with lyrics that speak out about how it feels to work so hard and walk away without enough pay to support your family.

Lyrics:

You load sixteen tons an' what do you get?
Another day older deeper and debt.
St Peter don't you call me I cause can't go:
I owe my soul to the company store.


10. "The Day They Closed the Factory Down," by Harry Chapin

It doesn't always take a dip in the stock market for people to get laid off in large numbers. This song by Harry Chapin talks about the closing of a factory so that jobs could be taken to place where labor was cheaper.

Lyrics:

All their words of wisdom
won’t make you go away
The day they closed the factory down
They had nothing left to say

1 comment:

  1. Hello Anil.
    I must say very well reserached. Now could we have some song on Global warming? Jerome

    ReplyDelete