Tuesday 5 May 2009

My profound apologies to Mother Earth.

I always celebrated my birthday a day before April 22nd as that was the day I was born. I knew nothing about the following day’s significance nor I gave a thought or tried to learn about it so long. I was self-centered and all that mattered to me was to have fun and enjoy my birthday and not worry about the following day. Actually thinking, there is no harm in having fun or enjoying one’s special day but failing to understand the importance of the planet in which I am enjoying and having fun was criminal. I apologise. Now I am thinking vaguely that probably I would have received emails about this day’s importance for many years that I never opened to read, turning them to trash as spam. How much information I could have lost? I am now happy I gave a thought, understood and now I am thinking hard on doing my bit.

April 22nd is Earth Day. Having it on the mind stimulates a thought process that most of us do not engage in often.

• What is the state of our planet? Its resources? It’s overall health?
• What is my relationship with planet earth? Do I have one?
• Do I give back to this planet that provides me a home?


Different cultures teach us that the greatest wisdom of the earth is respect. Earth is intimately linked to our past and our future, and it holds the key to our survival. There is a belief that everything on earth, animate, inanimate, and in the sky has a spirit. The earth itself is often referred to as Mother Earth.

Native cultures respected and lived in harmony with the earth. What happened? Our modern world seems to have lost touch. Removed is the thought process that we have a responsibility to the earth.

God made the earth to provide us with all that we need. Why do we, as individuals and as a society, treat earth with such disrespect? Littering and filling landfills with products that cannot be naturally decomposed and damaging the earth and its environment.

I learnt that it is important to protect and respect our earth because earth gives us life. Earth gives me space for my happiness, fun and enjoyment. Why don’t we reciprocate by following simple steps such as these to start respecting the Earth?

● Show respect by not adding to the pollution. Stop thoughtlessly littering and become a responsible recycler.
● Embrace a green lifestyle. Use recycled products. Avoid driving and if you cannot, drive a gas efficient automobile. Little changes can have a big impact on the planet – vow to make those changes each day.
● Create the best for the earth by holding the vision of earth’s perfect health and harmony, in your mind’s eye. Hold that vision as if it is already taking place.
● Teach your children and grandchildren to love and respect the earth. Lead by your example. Spend time with them outside in nature.

While understanding Earth and its environment and people who have contributed for its cause, I stumbled upon this inspiring talk by Dr. John Francis that I want to share with you all today. For almost 30 years, Dr. John Francis has been a planet walker, traveling the globe by foot and sail with a message of environmental respect and responsibility (for 17 of those years without speaking).

http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/391

Give just 20 minutes of your time and listen to Dr. Francis. That's all it takes to get inspired. Believe me, It’s thought provoking.

No comments:

Post a Comment