Monday 2 February 2009

Aus Open Men's Finals

Discovery Bay, Hong Kong / Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne Park.

My wife and I together with our good friends watched the Australian Open Finals at a friend’s house a block away from our apartment in Hong Kong. We were 7 of us with 6 being Federer fans and my wife being a lone Nadal fan. We cheered, screamed, pumped our fists and yelled when Roger won his points and my wife took on all of us and staged a lone battle by supporting Nadal throughout. She was as confident as Nadal and I could sense the match going her way when Federer lost so many chances and a golden opportunity in the third set eventually losing the set and the match.

As the match got over with Nadal agonizing Federer again, I abruptly walked out like a loser not wanting to see the presentation ceremony. The walk back to my house, though a block away, felt like the longest walk I have ever taken. I was lonely that moment, crest fallen at another Federer loss. I personally had lost another grand slam to my wife. I felt down and out and minutes later when my wife joined me, sat next to me, consoled me with a few good words with her arm over me, my life was back to normal.

Nadal also consoled Federer but I am sure Federer will take many days or even months to come back to normalcy. I doubt he ever will come back. If at all there is someone to blame for his loss, it is the man himself. There were opportunities aplenty and he should curse himself for ruing those chances. That said, I am definitely not taking away the credit from Rafa. He played very well though not at his best. Created those unbelievable angles, returned the service with vengeance, came up with winners when it mattered, left the Swiss Master wondering at his impeccable court coverage and eventually sized down the legend into tears.

I did mention in my earlier post that whoever stays mentally strong will go on to win the finals. That’s exactly what we got to see and Nadal proved it right by staying both very strong physically and mentally. Where does Federer will go from here? Will Federer be able to question Nadal in his own backyard, Roland Garros? Will he be able to come out of that unlucky number 13 he has been associated with for some time? Only the legend knows and unless he cures himself by treating the mental blockage and an ailment called Rafael Nadal, these questions will remain unanswered. The faster he comes back, the better for all Federer fans. He must realize that getting up and walking is what it takes when you fall down.

I must also talk about the ESPN STAR commentators, Vijay Amritraj and Alan Wilkins. I thought they both were a little biased favouring Nadal throughout. Vijay indeed tired all the viewers by saying how tired is Nadal innumerable times. Well isn’t staying neutral a basic rule in broadcasting? I do hope someone points this to them and hope we get to hear their comments neutrally in future. I do have great respect for Vijay and will be disappointed if he doesn't change.

Well time for me to start the work week and will come up with more thoughts on a different subject by the weekend.

Have a great week ahead.

Best, Anil

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete